Posts for: July, 2016
How diabetes affects your feet
Diabetes is a serious disease that affects your entire body, including your feet. It is also a systemic disease, affecting many of the major systems including your nervous, immune and circulatory systems. Because diabetes affects so many crucial areas, the disease creates major problems for your feet. Your podiatrists at Alexandria Family Podiatry in Sterling and Alexandria, Virginia want you to know the importance of diabetic foot care.
Diabetes affects your nervous system, causing a condition known as diabetic neuropathy. You begin to lose feeling in your feet, so if you suffer a foot injury, you might not even feel it. Diabetes also compromises your immune system, so if you get a small injury on your foot, like a blister, it can become infected and not heal properly. The effects from circulatory problems can be profound. The lack of blood flow to your feet can cause you to potentially lose toes and foot tissue.
Your podiatrists at Alexandria Family Podiatry in Alexandria and Sterling want you to know about some critical self-care you can do to keep your feet protected. Remember to:
- Check your feet daily, using a mirror to see the bottom of your feet.
- Wash and dry your feet thoroughly, and apply lotion to your feet daily.
- Trim your toenails straight across to prevent ingrown toenails.
- Exercise your ankles and wiggle your toes at least three times per day to boost circulation.
- Wear comfortable, supportive shoes and socks; don’t ever go without shoes.
- Don’t use electric blankets and heating pads because you may burn your feet and not feel it. Also avoid very hot water.
Don’t forget to visit your podiatrists at Alexandria Family Podiatry regularly, for foot examinations and to answer any questions you might have about diabetes and your feet. Your podiatrists are a vital part of your healthcare team, especially when you have diabetes. Don’t wait to take care of your feet. Call your podiatrists at Alexandria Family Podiatry with offices in Sterling, and Alexandria, Virginia. Call today and protect your feet!