Posts for: November, 2018
How your podiatrists in Sterling, VA, can help with ingrown toenails
Ingrown toenails can be unsightly and painful. They can also take a long time to heal. Sometimes you may need a little extra help from an expert. Dr. Richard Lee and Dr. Steven Lin at Alexandria Family Podiatry can help your feet feel better. They have two convenient office locations in Sterling and Alexandria, VA, to treat your feet.
You may have an ingrown toenail if your toe looks swollen and dark red or purple. You may also experience throbbing pain and pressure around and underneath your toenail.
There are some helpful tips that can prevent ingrown toenails. Remember to:
- Always cut your toenails straight across
- Avoid cutting your toenails too short
- Wear closed, protective shoes to avoid injury
- Wear shoes with adequate room for your toes
If you do develop an ingrown toenail, you can try some simple home remedies which might help. For example:
- Wear sandals to relieve pressure until your toe heals
- Soak your toe in warm water several times during the day
- Place dental floss under your toenail to push the toenail above your skin
- Apply antibiotic cream and bandages to your toenail
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medications
If your ingrown toenail doesn’t heal, it’s time to get some help from your podiatrists. Professional treatments can heal your toe and get you back on your feet. Your podiatrist may recommend:
- Lifting and separating your toenail from your skin
- Trimming the ingrown part of your toenail
If you have an ingrown toenail, you don’t have to wait and worry, hoping the toenail will heal on its own. Get help and relief quickly by calling Dr. Richard Lee and Dr. Steven Lin at Alexandria Family Podiatry, with offices in Sterling and Alexandria, VA. Call today and help your feet feel better!