Posts for: June, 2019
Just about everyone can expect to experience a little heel pain from time to time, which is perfectly normal. From uncomfortable shoes and aggressive workouts to spending too much time standing, your feet and ankles are subjected to a great deal of wear and tear, and are tasked with bearing the weight of your entire body. But prolonged or recurring heel pain can be a sign of an injury like plantar fasciitis, which is one of the most common causes of heel pain according to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Richard Lee and Dr. Steven Lin, the podiatrists at Alexandria Family Podiatry, offer treatment for heel pain and other foot and ankle injuries in Sterling and Alexandria, VA.
Heel Pain Diagnosis and Treatment in Sterling and Alexandria, VA
Plantar fasciitis is a common condition caused by inflammation to the long band of tissue that stretches from the heel to the base of the toes (plantar fascia). The plantar fascia provides shock absorption for the feet, but prolonged pressure and stress can cause small tears that lead to inflammation and pain.
What Causes Plantar Fasciitis?
Anyone can develop plantar fasciitis, but there are a few factors that can increase your risk:
- Being between the ages of 40 and 60, the most common age group
- Flat feet or a very high arch
- Spending a lot of time on your feet
- Being obese or overweight, which can put additional strain on your muscles and joints
- High impact exercise, sports, and physical activity like distance running, basketball, and certain types of dance like ballet
The signs and symptoms of plantar fasciitis include:
- Sharp, stabbing pain from the bottom of the heel
- Pain that feels worse after exercise, or when you wake up in the morning or stand up after sitting for a while
Find a Podiatrist in Sterling and Alexandria, VA
For more information about preventing and managing your heel pain, contact Alexandria Family Podiatry in Alexandria and Sterling, VA, to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lee or Dr. Lin by calling (703) 823-2357!